Mollkirch is a village
with a population of 650 situated in the Vosges 40 kilometres
to the west of Strasbourg at an altitude of 320 metres.
The name Mollkirch is derived from Magel-Kirch, then Mahlkirch,
the church of the river Magel. The name Mahlkirch is mentioned
as early as 1220. We can deduce that a church already existed
at the date.
Mollkirch used to
be based on forestry, also agricultural with a few farms.
The tradition of sheep breeding still exists in the village,
but these animals have been superseded by livery horses.
Mollkirch has become popular for its livery stables over
the last few years. There are also fruit trees (cherries,
mirabelle plums, quetsches (local damsons), apples and walnuts).
Mollkirch still has
a large sawmill and a company selling forestry vehicles
on its territory, both situated in the Bruche valley outside
the village. In the village there is also a carpenter and
is a dormitory village and thanks to the express way and
motorway A352 has become very popular among people working
Mollkirch has always
been traditionally cut in two, the village itself and the
hamlet of Laubenheim, 1 kilometre on the Grendelbruch road,
which has the oldest buildings (the Kloesterle
Chapel). The name Laubenheim (literally the home of
the arbours) is certainly as old as Mollkirch.
> Read the next